منتدى الإنجليزية
منتدى الإنجليزية
منتدى الإنجليزية
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

منتدى الإنجليزية

خاص بالجزائريين و التعليم في الجزائر

البوابةHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Phonology, phonemes and phonetics Support
Poll
ما رأيكم في منتدانا الجديد
ممتاز
Phonology, phonemes and phonetics I_vote_lcap22%Phonology, phonemes and phonetics I_vote_rcap
 22% [ 28 ]
جيد جدا
Phonology, phonemes and phonetics I_vote_lcap19%Phonology, phonemes and phonetics I_vote_rcap
 19% [ 24 ]
لا بأس به
Phonology, phonemes and phonetics I_vote_lcap30%Phonology, phonemes and phonetics I_vote_rcap
 30% [ 38 ]
متوسط
Phonology, phonemes and phonetics I_vote_lcap20%Phonology, phonemes and phonetics I_vote_rcap
 20% [ 25 ]
سيء
Phonology, phonemes and phonetics I_vote_lcap9%Phonology, phonemes and phonetics I_vote_rcap
 9% [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 127
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trackmania Valley
Phonology, phonemes and phonetics EmptyFri Nov 06, 2015 9:25 pm by Samiha

» American and British Spelling
Phonology, phonemes and phonetics EmptyMon Nov 03, 2014 9:09 am by T.S.A.Tamy

» E-mail writing
Phonology, phonemes and phonetics EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 3:09 pm by Samiha

» [ Www.TorrentDay.com ] - Mean.Facesitters.XXX.DVDRip.XviD-ST
Phonology, phonemes and phonetics EmptySat Feb 15, 2014 7:43 pm by nedrisas

» Language,dialect and variation, sociolinguistic
Phonology, phonemes and phonetics EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 8:39 pm by Samiha

» How to Use a Dictionary
Phonology, phonemes and phonetics EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 8:27 pm by Samiha

» Everything about phonetics here!!!!!
Phonology, phonemes and phonetics EmptySun Aug 04, 2013 12:01 pm by Abou Nourhan

» Useful Words for Any Conversation
Phonology, phonemes and phonetics EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 3:44 am by Samiha

» PCs and Macs
Phonology, phonemes and phonetics EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 8:07 pm by Samiha

Top posters
Samiha
Phonology, phonemes and phonetics I_vote_lcapPhonology, phonemes and phonetics I_voting_barPhonology, phonemes and phonetics I_vote_rcap 
Carlotta
Phonology, phonemes and phonetics I_vote_lcapPhonology, phonemes and phonetics I_voting_barPhonology, phonemes and phonetics I_vote_rcap 
mohamedz
nada32
AMINE
spirit
Rose of Spring
Sandra
سماحي 93
free_angel
المنتدى بكل اللغات

ازرار التصفُّح
 البوابة
 الصفحة الرئيسية
 قائمة الاعضاء
 البيانات الشخصية
 س .و .ج
 ابحـث
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

قم بحفض و مشاطرة الرابط منتدى الإنجليزية على موقع حفض الصفحات

Bookmark and share the address of منتدى الإنجليزية on your social bookmarking website
ازرار التصفُّح
 البوابة
 الصفحة الرئيسية
 قائمة الاعضاء
 البيانات الشخصية
 س .و .ج
 ابحـث
زوار المنتدى
Phonology, phonemes and phonetics Labels=0
Statistics
We have 86 registered users
The newest registered user is eiddanta

Our users have posted a total of 291 messages in 152 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 65 on Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:23 pm

Phonology, phonemes and phonetics

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Samiha
Admin
Samiha

عدد المساهمات : 159
تاريخ التسجيل : 2010-01-23
العمر : 39
الموقع : https://english4all.forumarabia.com/

Phonology, phonemes and phonetics Empty
PostSubject: Phonology, phonemes and phonetics   Phonology, phonemes and phonetics EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 4:52 am

You may have known for some time that the suffix “-phone” is to do with sounds. Think, for instance, of telephone, microphone, gramophone and xylophone. The morpheme comes from Greek phonema, which means “a sound”.

* Telephone means “distant sound”
* Microphone means “small sound” (because it sends an input to an amplifier which in turn drives loudspeakers - so the original sound is small compared to the output sound)
* Gramophone was originally a trade name. It comes from inverting the original form, phonograph (=sound-writing) - so called because the sound caused a needle to trace a pattern on a wax cylinder. The process is reversed for playing the sound back
* Xylophone means “wood sound” (because the instrument is one of very few where the musical note is produced simply by making wood resonate)

The fundamental unit of grammar is a morpheme. A basic unit of written language is a grapheme. And the basic unit of sound is a phoneme. However, this is technically what Professor Crystal describes as “the smallest contrastive unit” and it is highly useful to you in explaining things - but strictly speaking may not exist in real spoken language use. That is, almost anything you say is a continuum and you rarely assemble a series of discrete sounds into a connected whole. (It is possible to do this with synthesised speech, as used by Professor Stephen Hawking - but the result is so different from naturally occurring speech that we can recognize it instantly.) And there is no perfect or single right way to say anything - which is just as well, because we can never exactly reproduce a previous performance.

However, in your comments on phonology, you will certainly want sometimes to focus on single phonemes or small sequences of phonemes. A phoneme is a sound segment of words or syllables. Quite a good way to understand how it may indicate meaning is to consider how replacing it with another phoneme will change the word - so if we replace the middle sound in “bad” we can make “bawd”, “bed”, “bid”, “bird” and “bud”. (In two cases here one letter is replaced with two letters but in all these cases it is a single vowel sound that changes.)

The first people to write in English used an existing alphabet - the Roman alphabet, which was itself adapted from the Greek alphabet for writing in Latin. (In the Roman empire, Latin was the official language of government and administration, and especially of the army but in the eastern parts of the empire Greek was the official language, and in Rome Greek was spoken as widely as Latin, according to F.F. Bruce, in The Books and the Parchments, Chapter 5). Because these first writers of English (Latin-speaking Roman monks) had more sounds than letters, they used the same letters to represent different sounds - perhaps making the assumption that the reader would recognize the word, and supply the appropriate sounds. It would be many years before anyone would think it possible to have more consistent spelling, and this has never been a realistic option for writers of English, though spelling has changed over time. And, in any case, the sounds of Old English are not exactly the same as the sounds of modern English.

As linguists have become aware of more and more languages, many with sounds never heard in English, they have tried to create a comprehensive set of symbols to correspond to features of sound - vowels, consonants, clicks and glottalic sounds and non-segmental or suprasegmental features, such as stress and tone. Among many schemes used by linguists one has perhaps more authority than most, as it is the product of the International Phonetic Association (IPA). In the table below, you will see the phonetic characters that correspond to the phonemes used in normal spoken English. To give examples is problematic, as no two speakers will produce the same sound. In the case of the vowels and a few consonants, the examples will not match the sounds produced by all speakers - they reflect the variety of accent known as Received Pronunciation or RP. Note that RP is not specific to any region, but uses more of the sounds found in the south and midlands than in the north. It is a socially prestigious accent, favoured in greater or less degree by broadcasters, civil servants, barristers and people who record speaking clock messages. It is not fixed and has changed measurably in the last 50 years. But to give one example, the sound represented by θ is not common to all UK native speakers. In many parts of London and the south-east of England the sound represented by f will be substituted. So, in an advertisement, the mother-in-law of Vinnie Jones (former soccer player for Wimbledon and Wales; now an actor) says: “I fought 'e was a big fug” (/aɪ fɔət i: wɒz ə bɪg fug/).

You may also wonder what has happened to the letter x. This is used in English to represent two consonant sounds, those of k and s or of k and z. In phonetic transcription these symbols will be used.

“Consonant” and “vowel” each have two related but distinct meanings in English. In writing of phonology, you need to make the distinction clear. When you were younger you may have learned that b,c,d,f and so on are consonants while a,e,i,o,u are vowels - and you may have wondered about y. In this case consonants and vowels denote the letters that commonly represent the relevant sounds. Phonologists are interested in vowel and consonant sounds and the phonetic symbols that represent these (including vowel and consonant letters). It may be wise for you to use the words consonant and vowel (alone) to denote the sounds. But it is better to use an unambiguous phrase - and write or speak about consonant or vowel sounds, consonant or vowel letters and consonant or vowel symbols. In most words these sounds can be identified, but there are some cases where we move from one vowel to another to create an effect that is like neither - and these are diphthongs. We also have some triphthongs - where three vowel sounds come in succession in words such as “fire”, “power” and “sure”. (But this depends on the speaker - many of us alter the sounds so that we say “our” as if it were “are”.) For convenience you may prefer the term vowel glides - and say that “fine” and “boy” contain two-vowel glides while “fire” contains a three-vowel glide.
Back to top Go down
https://english4all.forumarabia.com

Page 1 of 1