منتدى الإنجليزية
منتدى الإنجليزية
منتدى الإنجليزية
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

منتدى الإنجليزية

خاص بالجزائريين و التعليم في الجزائر

البوابةHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Chapter 1: A Brief History of Old English Support
Poll
ما رأيكم في منتدانا الجديد
ممتاز
Chapter 1: A Brief History of Old English I_vote_lcap22%Chapter 1: A Brief History of Old English I_vote_rcap
 22% [ 28 ]
جيد جدا
Chapter 1: A Brief History of Old English I_vote_lcap19%Chapter 1: A Brief History of Old English I_vote_rcap
 19% [ 24 ]
لا بأس به
Chapter 1: A Brief History of Old English I_vote_lcap30%Chapter 1: A Brief History of Old English I_vote_rcap
 30% [ 38 ]
متوسط
Chapter 1: A Brief History of Old English I_vote_lcap20%Chapter 1: A Brief History of Old English I_vote_rcap
 20% [ 25 ]
سيء
Chapter 1: A Brief History of Old English I_vote_lcap9%Chapter 1: A Brief History of Old English I_vote_rcap
 9% [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 127
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trackmania Valley
Chapter 1: A Brief History of Old English EmptyFri Nov 06, 2015 9:25 pm by Samiha

» American and British Spelling
Chapter 1: A Brief History of Old English EmptyMon Nov 03, 2014 9:09 am by T.S.A.Tamy

» E-mail writing
Chapter 1: A Brief History of Old English EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 3:09 pm by Samiha

» [ Www.TorrentDay.com ] - Mean.Facesitters.XXX.DVDRip.XviD-ST
Chapter 1: A Brief History of Old English EmptySat Feb 15, 2014 7:43 pm by nedrisas

» Language,dialect and variation, sociolinguistic
Chapter 1: A Brief History of Old English EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 8:39 pm by Samiha

» How to Use a Dictionary
Chapter 1: A Brief History of Old English EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 8:27 pm by Samiha

» Everything about phonetics here!!!!!
Chapter 1: A Brief History of Old English EmptySun Aug 04, 2013 12:01 pm by Abou Nourhan

» Useful Words for Any Conversation
Chapter 1: A Brief History of Old English EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 3:44 am by Samiha

» PCs and Macs
Chapter 1: A Brief History of Old English EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 8:07 pm by Samiha

Top posters
Samiha
Chapter 1: A Brief History of Old English I_vote_lcapChapter 1: A Brief History of Old English I_voting_barChapter 1: A Brief History of Old English I_vote_rcap 
Carlotta
Chapter 1: A Brief History of Old English I_vote_lcapChapter 1: A Brief History of Old English I_voting_barChapter 1: A Brief History of Old English I_vote_rcap 
mohamedz
nada32
AMINE
spirit
Rose of Spring
Sandra
سماحي 93
free_angel
المنتدى بكل اللغات

ازرار التصفُّح
 البوابة
 الصفحة الرئيسية
 قائمة الاعضاء
 البيانات الشخصية
 س .و .ج
 ابحـث
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

قم بحفض و مشاطرة الرابط منتدى الإنجليزية على موقع حفض الصفحات

Bookmark and share the address of منتدى الإنجليزية on your social bookmarking website
ازرار التصفُّح
 البوابة
 الصفحة الرئيسية
 قائمة الاعضاء
 البيانات الشخصية
 س .و .ج
 ابحـث
زوار المنتدى
Chapter 1: A Brief History of Old English Labels=0
Statistics
We have 86 registered users
The newest registered user is eiddanta

Our users have posted a total of 291 messages in 152 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 65 on Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:23 pm

Chapter 1: A Brief History of Old English

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Samiha
Admin
Samiha

عدد المساهمات : 159
تاريخ التسجيل : 2010-01-23
العمر : 39
الموقع : https://english4all.forumarabia.com/

Chapter 1: A Brief History of Old English Empty
PostSubject: Chapter 1: A Brief History of Old English   Chapter 1: A Brief History of Old English EmptySat Feb 13, 2010 12:49 am

Chapter 1: A Brief History of Old English 163438

Chapter 1:

A Brief History of Old English

When the Anglo-Saxons first came to England from northern Germany (Saxony) in the fifth and sixth centuries, they brought their language with them. It is a Germanic language and has some fundamental similarities to Modern German.

If Anglo-Saxon had then developed undisturbed for several centuries we might have no more trouble reading an Old English text than we do reading something written by Chaucer at the end of the fourteenth century (students can start reading Chaucer with no special linguistic instruction, although they may need the help of footnotes for the first few weeks of a course).

But political and cultural events changed the Anglo-Saxon language into the language we speak today.

The most important influence upon the language was the Norman Conquest of 1066, when William the Conqueror, a prince of Normandy (a part of France) conquered England. William made French the official language of the aristocracy and the law courts. Anglo-Norman French was an elite language, and the common people did not necessarily learn it as children, but it was the official language of the nation.

Over the next two centuries, however, Anglo-Norman French mixed with Anglo-Saxon, probably because the children of the Norman-French aristocracy were being raised by servants who spoke Anglo-Saxon among themselves. Eventually the two languages blended together, mixing the grammars and vocabularies of Anglo-Norman and Anglo-Saxon. This mixture, which was also influenced by the Latin used by the Church, became the language we recognize as Middle English, the language of Chaucer, William Langland, and the anonymous poet who wrote Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.

But as you can see by reading even a brief passage from Chaucer, Chaucer's language is not our language. Around the year 1500, a linguistic event called "The Great Vowel Shift" occurred. No one really knows why, though there are many speculations, but within a generation or so the pronunciation of Middle English vowels was rearranged. For example, the "ee" sound in Chaucer's word "sweete" (pronounced to rhyme with "eight") became the "ee" sound in Modern English "sweet." Also the "i" in "April," which is Chaucer's time was pronounced to rhyme with Modern English "peel" became the short "i" sound in Modern English "April." All the vowels were rearranged in a complex pattern discussed in more detail in the Appendix on Phonology.

Once this vowel shift is complete, we have Early Modern English and, soon after, Modern English. Thus while Chaucer takes some getting used to, students can successfully read the writings of Shakespeare with no formal instruction in his language; our language, for all the new words added and changes in manners and style, is essentially the same as Shakespeare's. We could have understood Shakespeare, and he would have understand us, but he could not have understood the Anglo-Saxon writer Ælfric, even though approximately the same amount of time separates Ælfric from Shakespeare as separates Shakespeare from us.

Despite the differences between Old English and Modern English, the language retains a fundamental kinship to our own. Thus students can expect to find learning Old English to be somewhat easier than learning a new "foreign" language such as Spanish or French. A semester's worth of hard work should be enough to give a student the ability to translate Old English poetry and prose. The key to success in this endeavor is to lay a solid foundation of grammatical understanding. While at first it may seem easy to "get the general idea" of a passage, if you take the time to figure out exactly how each word is working in a sentence you will find that the more complicated Old English sentences that we meet later in the semester will be less difficult to translate than they otherwise might be.

It is also important for students to realize that this short work is no permanent substitute for an expansive, detailed grammar book, such as Mitchell and Robinson's A Guide to Old English. King Alfred's Grammar skips over exceptions to rules, complications of syntax and some subtleties of Old English grammar. The time in a semester is so short and the number of things worth learning so many that we feel justified in this simplification. Our purpose is to get students translating great literature as quickly as humanly possible, thus preparing them for further study in Old English literature and culture.

Back to top Go down
https://english4all.forumarabia.com

Chapter 1: A Brief History of Old English
Page 1 of 1